Sunday, November 1, 2015

Does Kimchi Cause Cancer or Reduce Cancer?

             Stomach cancer (gastric cancer) rates are high in parts of Asia, especially in Korea. Experts demonstrate that helicobacter pylori infection and cigarette smoking are well known risk factors of gastric cancer. Also, salted foods and processed or grilled meats have been suggested as factors of gastric cancer (National Center for Biotechnology Information). Salty foods such as kimchi, soybean paste, and pickled fish may contain N-nitroso compounds which cause stomach cancer. However, kimchi experts illustrate that kimchi is a healthy food which reduces the risk of various cancers. Some people suggest that kimchi causes gastric cancer, and others demonstrate that kimchi has anticancer properties. Why are there competing claims?
www.slideshare.net/keiroservices/japanese-american-health-seminar-gardena-california


                Kimchi is a low calorie, high fiber, and nutritious side dish. It has plenty of vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, and vitamin C (organicfacks.net). Also, kimchi is rich in essential amino acids and minerals like calcium, iron, and selenium.  It contains many good compounds like capsaicin, chlorophyll, carotenoids, flavonoids, and isothiocyanates.
                Usually, kimchi is made from cabbage, which is well known for helping the body get rid of wastes and toxins. Experts say that the cabbage in kimchi contains the healthy flavonoids which are known to slow down the growth of cancer cells. Glucosinolates are another powerful cancer fighter because they convert to isothiocyanates. These compounds show preventative effects for a variety of different cancers. Other ingredients of kimchi, such as garlic, scallions, ginger, and chives, have anti-cancer and antioxidant compounds. Thus, kimchi is a valuable food that assists in reducing the risk of cancer.
                Ironically, some studies report that kimchi contains N-nitroso compounds, which are most likely carcinogens that cause cancer. Kimchi experts say that over brined kimchi, too much fish sauce, and fermenting for too long can cause N-nitroso compounds. However, when kimchi experts study kimchi's anticancer properties, they usually use 2-3% salty kimchi. Now selling kimchi in markets has 1.87% salty on average and 73.5% of kimchi on sale has 1.5-2.0% salty (foodnews.co.kr) Therefore, not too salty and suitably fermented kimchi is healthy.

               Overall, there are many factors for gastric cancer like genetics, infection with a related bacteria (helicobacter pylori), and life style. Though the gastric cancer rate is high in Korea, kimchi is not the only risk factor for that disease. Rather than being a culprit for this disease, kimchi is a healthy food which has anticancer and antioxidant properties.

15 comments:

  1. Yun, even before reading your essay, I had heard the claim that excessive kimchi consumption is a cause of the high gastric cancer rate in Korea. Your essay provides valuable information regarding the opposing point of view the kimchi actually has anti-cancer properties. I'm wondering if you think that even with "not too salty and suitably fermented kimchi," as you describe as healthy, there can be an issue with over-consumption. In other words, do you think that people should keep their consumption of kimchi within certain limits or should we feel free to eat as much as we'd like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korean's daily kimchi intake is 70g. If I eat 70g of 2.0% salty kimchi, it contains about 500mg sodium. According to WHO's daily sodium intake is 2000mg, I take about 25% of sodium from kimchi per day.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the explanation, Yun. This sounds reasonable.

      Delete
    3. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to make search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

      Delete
  2. Hi Yun I think that everything in excess is bad even fruits and vegetables. For example my grandmother had a condition of too much potassium in blood and the doctor said you cannot eat banana, all we know that banana is healthy but in my grandmother's case, no. So all is relative....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us. You give a lot information about how the kimchi is related with the gastric cancer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yun. I have never eaten Kimchi, and after I read your blog I understand that all is relative and every body is different. Thank for this information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really good essay to know how kimchi affect to MY body. i love kimchi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Korean food, and kimchi is also my favorite. But anything too much is not good. I do believe that kimchi will be healthy if it's not too salty. Thanks for sharing, Yun !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks your information, Yun. I think there have many problems cause of gastric cancer not only kimchi. If Kimchi was made with less salt without fish sauce. Is that okay? I love kimchi (vegan kimchi), ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your blog and food too that's why. i still believe we all need to die of something... LETS EAT ALL WE CAN UNTIL THE END. Lol just kidding, thanks for this amazing blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kimchi is a delicious food but with bad consequenses, I learn about your the consequenses thanks to your essay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like the consequences can be beneficial as long as we take care to not eat overly salty kimchi.

      Delete
  10. Lung cancer often goes unnoticed in its early stages. As the disease develops, a persistent cough  develop and chronic cough worsen. include chest pain, shortness of breath, hoarseness, bloody fluid coughed up from the respiratory tract, and frequent bouts of bronchitis or pneumonia. Sometimes the first was bone pain, headaches, dizziness,I was so piss off and tired of my life until i read about Dr Itua herbal medicine on blogspot i really thought it was scam when i first contacted him so little time i think about it and bought the herbal medicine which i took for three weeks and i was totally cured his treatment is so unique,I never thought i will be able to be free from Lung Cancer.But not only this Lung Cancer This great man can cure,Dr Itua also told me he can cure such diseases like... COLORECTAL CANCER,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer, BLADDER CANCER, PROSTATE CANCER, KIDNEY CANCER, LUNG CANCER, Lupus,SKIN CANCER,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Dementia. UTERINE CANCER,Pancreative Cancer, LEUKEMIA,HIV/AIDS,OVARIAN CANCER,BLOOD CANCER,Vulvar cancer,MEN/WOMAN INFERTILITY,BURKITT LYMPHOMA - NON-HODGKIN.BRONNCHIAL TUMORS, BRAIN TUMORS,BILE DUCT CANCER,BONE CANCER,VAGINAL CANCER,HERPES VIRUS,LOVE SPELL,HEPATITIS,HE'S A GREAT HERBAL DOCTOR.HERE HIS CONTACT EMAIL::: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/. WHATSAPP:::+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to make search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete